Author Topic: How do I hookup rig and computer to run PSK31 ?  (Read 19754 times)

KB9CDM

• View Profile
How do I hookup rig and computer to run PSK31 ?
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
I have a HP Laptop G72-260US Notebook and I am wanting to know what am I going to need to run my PSK31 & RTTY with this computer. It does not have a serial port so I am going to have to have some sort of gaget to  hookup between Yaesu 857-D and computer. Anyone got the answer ?

W5LZ

• View Profile
Re: How do I hookup rig and computer to run PSK31 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »
If your laptop has a sound card then just download a suitable PSK/RTTY program.  Interface the sound card's input to the radio's audio output, and the sound card's output to the mic input of the radio.  Use VOX for keying the radio.
 - Paul

W6DPS

• View Profile
Re: How do I hookup rig and computer to run PSK31 ?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »
... It does not have a serial port so I am going to have to have some sort of gaget to  hookup between Yaesu 857-D and computer. Anyone got the answer ?

I have a great "gadget" called a SignaLink USB, from Tigertronics.  Works great, has a built in sound card and VOX circuitry.  It works with any sound card software, so PSK, RTTY, SSTV, etc. I use an Icom IC-718, and connect through the DIN connector on the back.  Many radios have these digital connectors built in that make the process much easier.  I believe there is a digital DIN connector on your 857.

I like having a separate sound card so you just set your digital software to use that sound card, and leave everything else going to the default sound card.  That way you don't transmit system sounds, music, etc.

As I was getting started I used the old "acoustic coupling" method to listen around the bands.  Just put your computer microphone near the radio speaker, and you will be surprised how well it can receive digital modes.  A little annoying because you also have to hear the digital audio, but not bad while you are checking things out.

For software, check out Digipan for PSK, MMTTY for RTTY, and MMSSTV for Slow-Scan Television.  Manyothers around, but I like these.

My two cents worth, refunds available on request.

Dave, W6DPS