Author Topic: Antenna options for those living in apartments  (Read 12835 times)

KB9MBP

• View Profile
Antenna options for those living in apartments
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
I live in an apartment with outside garage.  I have few grounding options, and desire ideas.  Thanks! :)

W5LZ

• View Profile
Re: Antenna options for those living in apartments
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:20:14 AM »
I would think the simplest solution would be to use an antenna that doesn't require an RF ground (one that doesn't use ground/dirt as it's 'other half').  A safety ground (lightning) is a completely different 'animal'.  If possible, it's a good idea to safety ground any antenna.  And/or place a ground point device in the feed line before it enters your building.
Safety grounding is NOT a simple thingy.  Usually, it also isn't cheap if it's done right.  A 'spark-gap' type device is NOT a very good safety grounding device for antennas.  It isn't fast enough and only 'grounds' one half of the antenna, usually.
 - Paul

WH7WP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
I live in an apartment with outside garage.  I have few grounding options, and desire ideas.  Thanks! :)

Portable is the way to go...
I am resorting to Isotron antennas so I can remove them at a moments notice mainly because I don't have an outside yard of any kind. I have 1 window on a 3rd floor that I can use. Works out ok and I can go portable out to the beach on 10 meters with this antenna.
I also use a 2m Fantenna and a 70cm Fantenna for portable use at the same time. A 20 watt solar panel and battery power the whole mess on an old lady shopping cart.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:53:31 PM by WH7WP »

WH7WP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
2m Fantenna 1:1 SWR

k3who

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 07:11:58 PM »
Heh! I like that.^^^ I'm going to have to give that a try.  ;D

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »

What bands where you planning to use?    I recently tested an end fed antenna called the "end fed easy tenna".  I got the 54 ft version.  I ran battery power with an FT450 yaesu.  I worked pages and pages of contacts on 10, 15,17,20 and even talked to state side friends on 80 meters.  All with 30 watts or so.

C