Author Topic: Greetings from K1JS  (Read 11934 times)

K1JS

• ALL WE HEAR IS ... http://youtu.be/t63_HRwdAgk
    • View Profile
    • Click here to see my LinkedIn profile page
Greetings from K1JS
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »
I've already had a very helpful conversation on this board with Jonathan/K5TLF and Matt/KF5LCH regarding a new equipment purchase.  I guess now is as good a time as any to formally introduce myself! 

My name is John & I reside in Concord, Massachusetts.  I've been licensed continuously since my Novice days in 1974.  In 1977 I took advantage of an FCC program allowing Amateur Extra Class licensees to obtain the 1x2 call sign of their choice from the pool of available call signs - that's how I obtained my present call sign K1JS.

I guess you could say I'm a relic from the days of vacuum tubes, Morse Code, and taking license & code exams in an FCC Field Office under the watchful eye of an FCC exam proctor.  I've kept my license current over the decades, mostly because I love the hobby, but partly because I don't want to have to go through the examination process again!  :)

My ham radio interests today have pretty much narrowed themselves down to occasional casual ragchewing, mostly on 2m/70cm, rarely on HF.  All of my current gear is QRP due to my interest in disaster preparedness and emergency communications (it's easy to power a QRP rig), along with knowing that by running QRP I'm far less likely to give my neighbors' consumer electronics something to complain about!   8) 

Frankly, I'm tired of the proclivity of hams - myself included - to blather on and on about their gear ... so I'll spare you the details.  In a nutshell, here's part of my current list:

Ten-Tec Argonaut II Model 535
Kenwood TH22AT
Yaesu VX-3R
Yaesu FT-2400H (which formerly belonged to my SK Dad, N1SAF)
Yaesu FT-817ND (currently ordered from HRO, not yet received)

See you around the board - and the bands!  :)

John K1JS

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:29:52 PM by K1JS »

K5TLF

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from K1JS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
Welcome!