Author Topic: WA2ROC Studio A  (Read 13559 times)

WA2ROC

• View Profile
WA2ROC Studio A
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:39:57 AM »
Here's the present lineup at WA2ROC, Durham, NC.

Heath Marauder, Mohawk and Apache. 

Collins KWM2-A, Heath SB-300, balanced tuner connected to a 300' long loop

Microphones are EV 664's.

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WA2ROC Studio A
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »
Looking good!   Tell us more about that loop antenna please.  How high?  How is it fed? I really want to try a loop one day

Thanks for posting.

WA2ROC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »
My loop is basically 300 feet of #14 house wire (black, but RF is color blind) and it is strung between 7 trees in almost a triangular shape.  Why 7 trees, you ask?  Because that's where 300 feet of wire would fit between.  Altitude varies but is about 40 feet up.  That's as far as I could reach with a borrowed ladder.

It is insulated using ceramic dogbone insulators and UV proof cords in each tree.  The trees are tall so I felt that no 2 of them would swing in opposite directions at any one time.  So far, I have been correct.

It is fed with about 50 feet of 450 ohm window line from the middle of one of the longer sections directly to a Tucker T-3000 antenna matching box with an adequate balun inside to handle the balanced load.  It will tune SWR down to 1:1 on all bands, 80 through 10 and I may try it on 160.

Loops are notoriously quiet, noise-wise.  Much less static and local QRN than other antennas I have used here.

It really works well on the Monday Night 20 Meter AM Net too.

I also have a 100 foot doublet, a G5RV in earlier life, but without the hokey twin lead and coax, fed with more 450 ohm window line to an MFJ Differential T Tuner in Studio B, a Johnson Viking II and NC-300.  But an HQ-170 is in the works to replace that 300.  I do have a second NC-300 as backup on the shelf. 

This doublet is actually inside the perimeter of the loop, so there's no telling what kind of interaction is happening.  All I know is both antennas work very well.

WA2ROC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:53 AM »
Here's Studio B.  Johnson Viking II, Viking 122 VFO, National NC-300, MFJ Differential T tuner and an Electro-Voice 664, replaced recently with an Astatic 10C for less bass response.

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:53:32 PM »
Very nice station!   I love that combo. I used to have a decent NC300 with the outboard Converter and speaker. I sold it off. Maybe I will find a very nice one some day or maybe a 303.

Good info on the loop. I wish I had room here.  That sounds like the way to go.  I do have some pines but the loop would be closer to all the neighbors so I think for now, I will keep the doublet. I enjoy trying antennas and testing them. I plan to try a couple different antennas soon. Its just so darn hot outside here in the summer!

WA2ROC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 04:50:09 AM »
I replaced the NC-300 (I have 2 of them now) with a really nice Hammarlund HQ-170.  It never had a clock and I am looking for one (who isn't?)

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
Looks really nice!  I had a friend who had one with the clock in it. The clock even worked. I will ask around for you.

C

WA2ROC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »
I found a table model "all American 5" radio with a working Telechron clock in it for about $15.00 including shipping.  Both the clock and the radio worked!

60 minutes of work and the HQ-170 now has a working Telechron!

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
That's a score!  Never thought about looking for the clock in a different radio like that.

C