Author Topic: Seeking recommendations for mobile 2m/70cm rig & antenna  (Read 21014 times)

K1JS

• ALL WE HEAR IS ... http://youtu.be/t63_HRwdAgk
    • View Profile
    • Click here to see my LinkedIn profile page
Seeking recommendations for mobile 2m/70cm rig & antenna
« on: June 24, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »
After being off the air for a long time, I'm looking to get active again on mobile 2m/70cm FM.  I'd like to buy a new state of the art rig & antenna from a reputable manufacturer.  Does anybody have any mobile rig & antenna recommendations?  My vehicle is a 2009 Toyota Camry LE sedan.  I would like a rig that I can run from the car's regular 12 V lighter outlet, and that I won't need to mount to the interior of the vehicle - the rig needs to be easily moved around.  Regarding the rig's antenna - ideally, I would like it to have a magnet-mount base that is easily mounted on & removed from the roof or trunk of the car.  I've seen such an antenna for sale at Radio Shack, but it had an upper speed limit of around 35 mph for its magnetic adherence to the vehicle (besides, I KNOW I can do better than Radio Shack!). 

Thanks!
John, K1JS 

K5TLF

• View Profile
Re: Seeking recommendations for mobile 2m/70cm rig & antenna
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »
John,

I would recommend the Larsen 2/70 NMO with an NMO mag mount. Probably one of the best performing antennas for the 2/70 bands.
As far as an HT the question is what do you want it to be able to do and how much $$$$?

I have a couple of yaesu HTs that I like but I am a commercial radio junkie and prefer those over anything else...

Jonathan - K5TLF

K1JS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Jonathan,

Thanks for the antenna recommendation - I looked it up & it's definitely what I'm looking for.

My spending limit is about five hundred bucks.  The rig doesn't need to be an HT, it can be a larger unit - but it needs to be easily movable and capable of running off the existing 12 V cabin outlet.  As for RF output power, anything from 5 to 25 watts.

Features can be limited and simple.  Of course PL/CTCSS - I would expect that to be a standard option since it's an absolute must. Having as many controls on the hand mike as possible would be good as well.  I'm really not too fussy.  The simpler the better - basic is best.

Thanks

John K1JS

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:32:32 PM »
The big issue here is going to be amps... If you want to be able to run more than 5 watts you are going to have to have a direct larger gauge wire run to the battery.

If you wanted to be able to run a mobile in more than one vehicle you could install a power cord in whatever other cars you wanted to move it to...

As far as radios themselves, anything Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu are going to be good choices.

KF5LCH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Hello John! Glad you're getting back on the air. I'm still a newbie myself but I'm learning something new every day.

I agree with Jonathan on the Larsen 2/70. I'm running one on each of my mobiles & have had ZERO issues with them. Mine are NMO mounted thru the roof, but the NMO mag mounts are pretty stout to say the least. We use them on our locomotives at work if that gives you any idea of the beating they can take.

I'm a Kenwood guy myself so their the only radios I'm familiar with but.... If I were building a setup like you're wanting, I'd be looking at the Kenwood TMV71A. You can remote mount the control head & stash the RF deck in the trunk or under the seat. There are all kinds of head mounts on the market. You can get them that fit in a cupholder or on the A/C vent, all kinds of options. I also agree on hard wiring. You **might** be able to run on 25 watts thru the cig lighter, but I wouldn't risk it. Wiring on modern cars is cheap junk. The auxiliary plug on my Trailblazer is rated for 30 amps, but the wires running to it are 22 gauge! Too risky for me. You could run power wires from the battery to wherever you're going to mount the deck & terminate it with power pole connectors to make taking it in & out of the car a plug & play kind of deal.

Anyways, let us know what you decide to do & good luck.

Matt
KF5LCH
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:54:00 PM by KF5LCH »

K1JS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
Thank you both, Matt & Jonathan.  I've made my purchase and I've moved in a slightly different direction - even still, though, your replies, ideas, and suggestions were greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

John
K1JS

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:23:29 PM »
Thank you both, Matt & Jonathan.  I've made my purchase and I've moved in a slightly different direction - even still, though, your replies, ideas, and suggestions were greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

John
K1JS

Glad to hear!

BUT! Don't leave us hangin'! What'd ya get?!  :D

K1JS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:32:19 PM »

John
K1JS

Glad to hear!

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007097

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »

John
K1JS

Glad to hear!

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007097

Very nice! Good rig!
Congrats!

N4NOO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:51:02 PM »
Nice radio!  What HF antenna will you use?