Author Topic: Teach me!  (Read 15048 times)

K5TLF

• View Profile
Teach me!
« on: June 15, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »
I know nothing about wide ssb. What can you tell me about it?

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Teach me!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
ESSB is Extended Single sideband. Instead of using a narrow filter, ESSB uses a wide filter for increased Audio bandwidth. Its possible for SSB to have a HIFI sound this way.  Its common for ESSB stations to be up to 6KC wide.  Some newer radios are easier to modify for ESSB.  The FT2000 yaesu for example has a secret menu that will set the rig to 4KC wide on SSB.

The next step in this of course is you need a radio that will receive wide on SSB.  On the FT2000, the RX will follow the TX so there is no issue. 

ESSB is normally run in the extra portion of 80 meters or way down low in the general portion and late at night. Otherwise, you will hear more than one SSB station at a time with the wide receive and will take up to much bandwidth and bother others. 

A great site for learning about ESSB is here:

http://www.nu9n.com/essb.html

C

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
Awesome! I have never heard of it before. I am going to have to check that out!

Thanks for the info!

n0hke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »
How would you set up a Kenwood ts2000 to do essb?

K3DAV

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
The ESSB is awesome.  I have 3 SSB TX bandwidth settings, and I have alter the high setting to get 3.7KHz wide.  That's as wide as it would go.  It's not exactly ESSB, but I am told it has a nice effect by adding a little more bass and treble to my audio.

I have a nice wide range center channel surround speaker designed for home theater systems.  The center channel speaker is designed specifically for dialog and voice.  But they are the perfect radio speaker, and they show off the extra bass and treble tones of radio audio very well.  I have heard many of the ESSB hams and they sound almost as good as commercial AM broadcasters.

In addition to using wider TX filters, they use studio broadcast mics like my Heil PR-30 (See my avatar), and they connect tham via the ACC socket on the back of the radio.  Using the ACC socket connection bypasses the audio filters in the mic amp and allows a wider frequency response of your audio.  The audio is a bit cleaner and less compressed sounding.

The wide AM guys are also amazing.  Many use up to 10 or 15KHz wide audio and sound as good or better than any high quality AM commercial broadcaster.  Almost a wide FM quality.  I used to listen to 5 guys who did this on the 75 meter AM window.  I used to drool and wish I sounded half that good on AM. 

The only problem with ESSB is that the wider useage of the frequency spectrum would bleed much farther than the typical 2.4 to 2.9KHz SSB emissions in each direction from center channel.  You could tune 3 or 4 kc up or down and still barely hear them squeaking.  But the audio quality is nothing short of awesome.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:53:02 PM by K3DAV »