Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 18867 times)

K5TLF

• View Profile
Hello!
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself to the new forum! My name is Jon and I live in the Texas Panhandle. My primary interests are in the digital voice modes (such as MotoTRBO, P25, D-Star). Currently I am just a Tech but would like to upgrade to general. I am a computer tech for a major US company. If I can be any help in that department im glad to help! Looking forward to seeing this forum grow!

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:57:52 AM »
Hi Jon.  I will be needing your help soon.  I plan to get into digi modes very soon. Its one aspect of the hobby that I have not indulged into. 

I have an FT2000 with a separate PC, HRD and band scope now.  I plan on buying the tiger tronics USB sound card interface since I am already using the Sound card in the PC. 

I would be happy to add a Board here for Digital modes if you think people will enjoy it!
C

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »
I will be happy to help however I can! I love the digital voice modes! So much flexability. Plus the added bouns of not having to listen to intermod and static lol

I was going to bring up the possibility of a digital sub forum. I think there is a big chunk of hams that run digital voice/data. I am a sucker for it!

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:09:55 AM »
Pick a title and I will add the board. I think its a great idea..

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 06:35:08 AM »
I'd say something along the lines of "Digital Voice Technologies" with "P25, DMR/MotoTRBO, iDAS/NXDN, D-Star" in the lower field.

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »
I have not had much time for the Forum as I have been very busy with work.  I just got back into town and added the digital board.  You are the moderator!  Enjoy

C

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:40:21 AM »
I completely understand! I have been out of town most of this week for work myself... However, I did pick up a new radio while I was out, so it was not all bad!  ;D

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
What kind of radio did you get?

C

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
A Motorola XTS 2500 Model III in VHF

Now i have to get a UHF version and a VHF XTL 5000  :D

KE7TRP

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
Oh cool.  We have a few digital repeaters up in the area. I got a demonstration one day from a local ham.

K5TLF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
I really enjoy working them. DMR/MotoTRBO has to be my favorite because of the ability it has with time slots and talk groups.

I mainly wanted the P25 radio for listening to the Texas state troopers and some federal stuff. And we have a few P25 repeaters around the state as well.
I was going to put up a TRBO repeater here but there is a guy who runs a radio shop a couple hours south of where I live that has one that is waiting to go in here. So I will prolly work on puting up a P25 repeater. Then I can talk to myself on it....

Hams around my area are funny. They will spend 5K on a HF rig but just about loose it if you tell them a VHF or UHF radio costs 500....