General Forums > Amplifiers (QRO)

Heathkit Chippewa amplifier

<< < (2/2)

N9DIX:
I was wondering did you find and of the filter caps in the power supply bad or leaking? I have an SB220 with a pair of 3-500z that haven't been on the air for at least 18 years. I was thinking in using a rheostat to the line voltage up once I had just filaments lit for a while like you did. It will probably be a few more months till I get the shack finish above the barn and hand an antenna. Last time I ran it I could get a full 1000 watts key down. I use to run RTTY with it with the output turned down some but it held a constant 750 watts.

Glad you got it running. I've heard via the grapevine that Heathkit will be coming back to producing kits, when I don't know but they do have a website up with some info. Hope they do.

73's Jim

KE7TRP:
Hi Jim. Thanks for posting.

I have owned several SB220's and I use one everyday.  I never had a capacitor failure in any of them.  I would just turn the Amp on and key it up in the CW/Tune position with no drive. This will put a low current on the tubes. If you don't hear any noises, The amp is good to go.  You can leave it keyed up for a while to de-gas the tubes this way. 

The 3-500s are instant on so you don't need to warm I up after this. Just turn it on and key instantly.  In fact, This is how I operate mine while working DX. I pretune the band, tune and load for the band I want to use by a chart, Flip it on, Make the contact and flip it off.

C

N9DIX:
Thanks C, I still don't have the shack finished so I'm not on the air yet. That's good to know about the caps and yes I'll have 220 available when I do get things going. I will have the case opened first and blow the cow-webs out and clean up the dust. Also will check the caps for any leaking. I was just worried that since it hasn't had any power applied for the past 18-20 years that the caps might of dried out. I'll let you know when I do get it running. Thanks again.
73's Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version